Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)

Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
compuvision02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)

Hey all,

I have a 2010 G37S sedan, I have been doing a lot of research about streaming audio, such as Pandora, through my non-navigation package Infiniti. I have seen nothing but bad news. I know everyone is annoyed with the fact that if they did not get the navigation package they are pretty much out of luck and I am trying to get this to happen since I still have three years on my lease, stupid me! Anyways, I have been contemplating an idea that may work since they did away with the RCA jack, A2DP is not available via non-navigation, I do not have an iPod or iPhone, and switching to an aftermarket double din seems impossible. Does anyone know if you stream Pandora through your phone, have a cable with a headphone jack that runs to a USB connector in to the USB port in the vehicle if it would play through the Auxiliary button? Thanks!

Rob
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 PM
ushkand

That wont work - trust me I am in the exact same boat as you and have tried all options unsuccessfully and now resorted to Motorokr T505 - Bluetooth to FM transmitter. That's the closest we'll come to streaming wirelessly or wired from a non-iphone.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
shifter2600

Same here

So I just got the 2011 G35X and I am in the same boat as well.
I have tried a couple things.

There are the ipod dock bluetooth receivers, I didn't try the Anycom one but the Cerulean RX ISkin I tried wouldn't recognize in the USB. This would of been Ideal.

I tried the BlackBerry Handsfree Visor Mount Bluetooth Speaker / Car Kit w/ FM Transmitter Black (VM-605) and that wouldn't work unless I also had it paired for phone usage as well which I didn't want to do becuase I wanted to use teh car for hands free.

Now I am waiting for another bluetooth receiver to FM from New Potato Tech TuneLink Auto™ for Android. This is supposed to just link for Media and not phone so I can send media to this FM transmitter and still connect to the car for phone.
I'll let you know how it works out.

But if I could find a way to wire in to any existing AUX wires I would do that in a heart beat.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Zaph47

Best thing to do is jailbreak your phone then download the "NoAccessorySplash" plug-in. It allows you to close the iPod app (once you've paused the music) and use the phone as usual. I can play Pandora or any other audio-related app just fine through the dock connector. Of course, the display screen just shows whatever was last playing....but it works!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifter2600,

I am as well looking for a workaround. The New Potato Tech device sounds quite interesting as it only streams audio, let us know how it works. I also have an Android Phone, Samsung Galaxy Captivate.

Regards,
Tony

Originally Posted by shifter2600

Now I am waiting for another bluetooth receiver to FM from New Potato Tech TuneLink Auto™ for Android. This is supposed to just link for Media and not phone so I can send media to this FM transmitter and still connect to the car for phone. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
roots4x

Your only options are FM transmitter, wiring aux input into your stereo (you'd have to buy lots of parts), or just putting your music on a USB flash drive.

Which phone do you have? If you could somehow emulate an iPod then you could use the dock. Or if you could emulate a flash drive, then you could play through the usb port. Is it android?

EDIT: I know that the Palm Pre originally emulated an ipod so you could use it with ipod docks (with a usb cable, of course) and itunes. Maybe there is an pplication for android that will allow you to do that.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Hey shifter,

Did you get a chance to try out the New Potato Tech TuneLink Auto for Android yet?

Regards,
Tony

Originally Posted by shifter2600
So I just got the 2011 G35X and I am in the same boat as well.
I have tried a couple things.

There are the ipod dock bluetooth receivers, I didn't try the Anycom one but the Cerulean RX ISkin I tried wouldn't recognize in the USB. This would of been Ideal.

I tried the BlackBerry Handsfree Visor Mount Bluetooth Speaker / Car Kit w/ FM Transmitter Black (VM-605) and that wouldn't work unless I also had it paired for phone usage as well which I didn't want to do becuase I wanted to use teh car for hands free.

Now I am waiting for another bluetooth receiver to FM from New Potato Tech TuneLink Auto™ for Android. This is supposed to just link for Media and not phone so I can send media to this FM transmitter and still connect to the car for phone.
I'll let you know how it works out.

But if I could find a way to wire in to any existing AUX wires I would do that in a heart beat.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
zanzee

Or another option, wire in rcas and run them to the front or a bluetooth audio bridge(if you like wireless) directly into the amp cd inputs then play a zeroised music cd(did this with my Frontier). It should work pretty well as the amp uses RCA pre levels where as in the frontier I just jacked directly into the amp IC...
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 PM
aerospaced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just went from an 08 to 11 G37X w/o nav and was disappointed to find out Infiniti eliminated the line level aux input. After doing some research I found a fairly easy solution. The xm tuner located under the parcel shelf in the trunk has line level outputs (red, green, black, white wires) that go to the head unit. I spliced into those and then set my xm tuner to channel 0 since there is no programming on this channel. I am now able to use the headphone out on my blackberry to stream pandora and also connect my portable HD radio. Sounds great - I have to turn up the volume higher than normal but otherwise seems to work well. I plan to install a 1/8 female jack in the center console tomorrow where the aux jacks used to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by aerospaced:
FXG37S (09-12-2014), Nefarious (11-09-2022)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
aerospaced

Just finished installing a headphone jack in my center console and ran the wire back to the xm tuner in the trunk. Made the connections at the tuner as described in my previous post and now have an aux input to connect my BB and portable HD radio. Total cost: $13.00 for a 20ft extension with 1/8 stereo plug at Radio Shack and about 1 hour labor. The is no change in the sound of XM but noticed that pandora on BB and HD radio connected to same audio input wires the XM tuner uses to connect to the Bose head unit sounds much better than XM ever has. For the those interested the wire colors are RED LH+, GRN LH-, BLACK RH+ and WH RH-. These are all grouped together at one end of the connector that plugs into the XM tuner. Remember to turn to channel 0 on XM when using the aux in.
The following 2 users liked this post by aerospaced:
ctyke (09-26-2014), Nefarious (11-09-2022)
Old 04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
zanzee

Originally Posted by aerospaced
Just finished installing a headphone jack in my center console and ran the wire back to the xm tuner in the trunk. Made the connections at the tuner as described in my previous post and now have an aux input to connect my BB and portable HD radio. Total cost: $13.00 for a 20ft extension with 1/8 stereo plug at Radio Shack and about 1 hour labor. The is no change in the sound of XM but noticed that pandora on BB and HD radio connected to same audio input wires the XM tuner uses to connect to the Bose head unit sounds much better than XM ever has. For the those interested the wire colors are RED LH+, GRN LH-, BLACK RH+ and WH RH-. These are all grouped together at one end of the connector that plugs into the XM tuner. Remember to turn to channel 0 on XM when using the aux in.
I really like your solution, as mine would require using a zero'd cd taking up a potential slot. XM is useless imo with all the streaming available. My Atrix with a 6gb plan kills anything XM/Sirius has to offer. Now if I could just get our display to work with HDMI or DVI... Google maps ftw!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

That's a great idea! Got any pics?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 AM
aerospaced

Sorry no pictures at least for now. The hardest part of the job was running the extension cable into the trunk. Infiniti did a good job sealing the trunk from the interior of the car. Finally I had to remove the rear seats to find a clear path. I didnt want to cut any OEM wires so I just inserted my aux in wires into the XM connector and zip tied them in place. It works but not the most reliable approach. Thinking about a more elegant solution using a 4PDT relay with plug-in connectors providing capability for remote switching between XM and aux in with a miniature 2 position switch mounted in the console. If I end up doing it will try to take pictures then.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
lloydman

This is great news!

I really want to do this mod but I have absolutely no experience with something like this. Can you explain it like I am a seventh grader? Where is the XM tuner in the trunk located exactly? How did you wire it in? How did you run the wire to the console? Is the wire visible in the interior? How does the wire look in the console?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
aerospaced

Originally Posted by lloydman
This is great news!

I really want to do this mod but I have absolutely no experience with something like this. Can you explain it like I am a seventh grader? Where is the XM tuner in the trunk located exactly? How did you wire it in? How did you run the wire to the console? Is the wire visible in the interior? How does the wire look in the console?

You may want to consider going to a car audio installer with a copy of my previous posts. They should be able to figure it out based on the information I provided and do a professional job on installation. Could be wrong but would estimate it should only cost 1 to 1.5 hrs labor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)